A STUDY ON THE PREDICTIVE VALIDITY OF ENGLISH NATIONAL EXAMINATION TOWARD THE ENGLISH ACHIEVEMENT OF THE FIRST GRADE STUDENTS OF MA NW NARMADA A. Y. 2010/2011

Infithora, Hajrah (2011) A STUDY ON THE PREDICTIVE VALIDITY OF ENGLISH NATIONAL EXAMINATION TOWARD THE ENGLISH ACHIEVEMENT OF THE FIRST GRADE STUDENTS OF MA NW NARMADA A. Y. 2010/2011. S1 thesis, Universitas Mataram.

[img] Text
my THESIS.rtf
Restricted to Repository staff only

Download (835kB)
[img] Text
PELENGKAP.rtf
Restricted to Repository staff only

Download (2MB)

Abstract

This study focused on the analysis of the predictive power of English UN toward students’ performance in the same subject at the next level of education. It was aimed to answer the research question “Does English National Examination have predictive validity toward the English achievement of the first grade students of MA NW Narmada or not?”. The population was all the 94 grade I (one) students of MA NW Narmada and all of them were taken as the samples of the study. The writer conducted the research by doing statistical examination employing correlation analysis between the samples’ scores at English National Examination and those recorded in their rapport cards as the representation of their true English performance/achievement. Then, the result showed that the correlation coefficient describing the relationship between the two variables was 0.148. As it was not zero, it was concluded that there was correlation between students’ UN scores and rapport card scores. However, any value bellow 0.200 should be interpreted as very low, including the 0.148 that the study found. In other words, the correlation between the two studied variables was found to be very low. To be noticed, this study was 90% confident to state the launched result that there was 10% doubt that the finding might be wrong. The existence of the correlation then led to the inference that there was the role of English UN in predicting students’ English ability and then students’ achievement. The degree of the predictive validity, also, was interpreted as very low, only 14.8%. The rest 85.2% was assumed to be the contribution of other factors thought to be social predictors. In conclusion, the answer to the research question was that English National Examination has predictive validity toward the English achievement of the first grade students of MA NW Narmada academic year 2010/2011 which is commenced to be vey low. The low predictive validity might be due to the imperfection of the test itself or of the implementation process. Lastly, it was suggested that UN should make sure the quality of both the test items and the implementation to be expediently nationalized achievement test representing the nation’s education quality.

Item Type: Thesis (S1)
Keywords (Kata Kunci): Predictive Validity, English National Examination, and English Achievement.
Subjects: P Language and Literature > PE English
Divisions: Fakultas Keguruan dan Ilmu Pendidikan
Depositing User: Imran SE
Date Deposited: 17 Nov 2018 04:27
Last Modified: 17 Nov 2018 04:27
URI: http://eprints.unram.ac.id/id/eprint/10405

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item